Sony started a very nice line of its flagship devices with the Xperia Z back in 2013, and since the day Sony has been successfully bringing up a great flagship device one after another. Although this device is quite old, but its good enough still today and sports some very nice features that are enough to perform all of your tasks you expect from an Android device. Xperia Z has got a 5 inched full HD display that’s way beautiful, there’s a 1.5 GHz Quad Core CPU to power this device up and a RAM of 2 GBs which make the device fast enough. Besides that, Xperia Z is currently running on Android KitKat, and it seems that Sony will be bringing a lot of further updates to this device as well as in the recent past Sony has been treating its users pretty much great.
The flagship line has now reached Xperia Z2, a great device indeed. Xperia Z2 wins the battle from Xperia Z in several ends, e.g Camera, CPU, RAM, the display is little bigger, but there’s not much difference as its also a full HD screen, but what actually makes this device differs from Xperia Z2 is its software. Xperia Z2 has got some exclusive software features, exclusive applications and some UI features that are not available in the past Xperia devices. This might actually make the Xperia Z owners feel old with their device, but as long as there are great developers present around, feeling disappointed is not the right thing at all.
Famous XDA Recognized developer niaboc79 has brought up his well known eXistenZ Ultimate ROM for the Xperia Z based on stock Android KitKat firmware. The ROM has got some potential modifications, all the applications and features are based on Xperia Z2’s build. The developer has done a nice job in theming, which makes the device’s UI more than beautiful. Applications have been modified in order to match the themes. There are different browser and different keyboards available in this ROM. eXistenZ Ultimate ROM is actually a great chance to transform your Sony Xperia Z into Xperia Z2 along with a number of cool and eye-catching features and give your Xperia Z a completely new life. In case you’re wondering how you can install this ROM, you don’t need to worry at all as this guide will explain everything. Let’s go through the ROM features now and then head towards the ROM installation.
- This guide is only on for Sony Xperia Z C6602, C6603, C6606 and C6616. Do not try this on any other device or else you will end up bricking it. You may check your device’s model by going to Settings > About Device.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed. Check our CWM installation guide to install it on your Xperia Z running latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firwmare.
- Please make sure that your phone’s battery is charged at least over 60%. This is highly recommended in order to prevent any power issues during the recovery flashing process.
- Backup each and everything on your Android phone as follows:
- Backup all your important contacts, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important sms messages, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important call logs, find the full guide here.
- Backup all your important media content manually. (Copy to your PC.)
- Backup all your apps / data. If you’ve rooted your device, use Titanium Backup to do so. Follow the full guide here.
- Backup your current system using a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) if you’ve flashed one. This is recommended in case something goes wrong with rooting your phone, you can use the custom recovery and return to the old working state of your system.
- This is a stock based custom ROM, and maybe kept for everyday’s use. You do not need to worry about the bugs and flaws in the ROM.
- Alright, let’s flash this ROM now.
Disclaimer: The methods involved in flashing custom roms and rooting your phone is highly custom and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturer that is Sony in our case. Also rooting your device will void its warranty and you will be no longer eligible for any kind of free device services by the manufacturers/warranty providers. In case of any mishap we may not be held responsible. Follow these instructions to the letter to avoid any mishap or bricking. Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
How to Install eXistenZ ROM and Transform your Xperia Z ito Z2:
- Download eXistenZ Ultimate ROM for Xperia Z
- Copy the downloaded ROM file to your phone’s SD card now.
- Now boot into custom recovery on your Xperia Z, that you installed using the above steps.
- Once in CWM recovery, use Volume Up and Down Keys in order to navigate and select “Install Zip” using the power button.
- Now locate the ROM.zip file and flash it.
- If the ROM prompts you for wiping the data, wipe everything otherwise wipe using the steps below after installation.
- Wait for the installation to get finished, once done, get back to the main menu in CWM recovery.
- Now wipe Factory/Data Reset. Also wipe cache and dalvik cache from advanced options.
- Once done, reboot your device.
- First boot may take up to 10 minutes just hold on tight.
- Once booted up, you can enjoy eXistenZ Ultimate ROM on your Xperia Z with Xperia Z2 features.
- That’s all. Enjoy!
Here’s a dark theme screenshot by the developer:
Let us know how does this ROM treat you. In case its good enough, don’t forget to donate to the original developer. In case of any queries, feel free to stop by the comment box below and let us know. We will get back to you asap.