OnePlus 5T’s bootloader has been unlocked. The phone has received an official build of the TWRP custom recovery. The only thing left now is the root. OnePlus 5T can be rooted either using Magisk or SuperSU. The choice totally depends on the OnePlus 5T users. Both the Magisk and SuperSu are found working without any hiccups. Users are more inclined towards the Magisk root tool since it’s a systemless root solution. In the past few months, Magisk has successfully surpassed SuperSU since it’s more active in development as well. In this guide, we will learn how to root OnePlus 5T using Magisk and SuperSU.
Before we root the phone, many of the users would want to learn what is root access and why they should root the phone. Rooting is done simply in order to unleash the beast hidden inside your powerful smartphone. There is a plethora of applications that require root access to run on a smartphone. These apps can enhance the control over your phone. Using root specific applications like Greenify, you can strengthen the battery life of your phone. Titanium Backup is another root-specific application that can backup every single element of your phone. Using root rights, you can edit the build.prop file of your phone to unlock new features or introduce new features on your phone. You can also access other system files of your phone to extend the features on your phone. You can make the buttons of your phone respond to your desired actions by playing with the system files. Most of the mods also require a phone to be rooted before you install them using a custom recovery. Xposed Framework is another root application that itself is a whole world of customization enabling Android users to take modifications to a whole new level.
The options you have after rooting your phone are not limited or specific. If we start discussing the advantages of root access then this post will never come to an end. It’s better to have your phone rooted and explore this thing on your own. Rooting OnePlus 5T has become more than easy since we already have a TWRP recovery available. Now you only need to pick up your desired module and flash it to gain root rights on your phone. Here are the detailed steps to Root OnePlus 5T now.
Things to take care of:
- This guide is only for the OnePlus 5T. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Backup your contacts, call logs, text messages and media content.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > Tap the build number for 7 times. Now get back to Settings > scroll down > open Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging now.
- Enable OEM Unlocking on your phone. To do so, go to Settings > About Phone > scroll all the way down > Developer Options > Enable OEM Unlocking.
- Unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 5T.
- Install TWRP custom recovery on your OnePlus 5T.
- Follow this guide carefully.
How to Root OnePlus 5T [Magisk and SuperSU]
- Download Magisk.zip file or SuperSU.zip file.
- I’m assuming that you are coming from a TWRP recovery installation post here. We only have to root the phone for now.
- Now that your phone is in the TWRP recovery mode, swipe the screen to allow system modifications.
- Now choose the language in TWRP recovery and then tap Never show this screen on boot again. Swipe to allow modifications now.
- Connect your phone to your computer and copy SuperSU or Magisk over the MTP mode.
- Now in TWRP, tap Install > locate and select SuperSU or Magisk. This choice totally depends on you.
- Once again swipe to confirm flash.
- Once done, get back to home-screen in TWRP and tap Reboot > System.
Once your phone boots up, you will find it rooted. You can now verify root access using root checker application.